Tuesday, August 26, 2008

False Dilemma

A reasoner who unfairly presents too few choices and then implies that a choice must be made among this short menu of choices commits the false dilemma fallacy, as does the person who accepts this faulty reasoning.

Example:

I want to go to Scotland from London. I overheard McTaggart say there are two roads to Scotland from London: the high road and the low road. I expect the high road is dangerous because it's through the hills. But it's raining, so both roads are probably slippery. I don't like either choice, but I guess I should take the low road.
This would be fine reasoning is you were limited to only two roads, but you've falsely gotten yourself into a dilemma with such reasoning. There are many other ways to get to Scotland. Don't limit yourself to these two choices. You can take other roads, or go by boat or train or airplane. Think of the unpleasant choice as a charging bull. By demanding other choices beyond those on the unfairly limited menu, you thereby "go between the horns" of the dilemma, and are not gored. For another example of the fallacy, see Black-or-White.

No comments:

Recent Visitors

Popular Pages Today: